Monday, October 02, 2006

About the flight

Passengers tend to have strong feelings against airplane tardiness, even when the reasons are purely safety related. So when a plane that is already late cannot take off for 20 minutes because the control tower "forgot" to inform their counterparts at O'Hare, tempers flare. I had time to make my connection with a fairly brisk walk. Those passengers with a scant three minutes to change concourses probably did not.

My flight from Chicago to Frankfurt was on Lufthansa, which I have not flown in decades, and the plane itself was a Boing 747, which I have not been on since the early 1990s. My seat was so far back in the plane that the backrest bumped against a bulkhead (or was it the tail cone itself?), and a woman in bright yellow "Okie" shirt had causally occupied my aisle seat in preference to her middle one so that she could sit next to her two friends in matching yellow Okie shirts who turned out to be in the wrong seats themselves. The Lufthansa personnel kindly but firmly herded these stray persons back to their assigned places.

I will not go so far as to praise Lufthansa for having good food, but it was certainly the best airline food that I have had in economy this millennium. The rolls were crisp and fresh, not soggy and hard, the Indian vegetarian entree was spiced appropriately, and the breakfast sandwich tasted as if it had been made that day, not this decade. The tea also tasted like fresh tea. After years and years of airline tea, I had persuaded myself that altitude made tea brewing impossible. Apparently it doesn't.

My plan is to keep these posting short, so that they do not become a burden to do. Suffice it to say that I arrived on time in Tegel.

More tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home