Sunday, November 19, 2006

Café Tiergarten

I am sitting in Cafe Tiergarten in one of the buildings in the Altonaerstr where we are thinking of buying an apartment. The cafe has a large outdoor sitting area, which is of course now (in November) quite deserted. Inside there are still about a dozen people at 4:45 pm. The big window is filled with plants. The tables have a marble-colored top, though I doubt whether they are actually real marble. My table has an interesting trapezoidal shape.

People here seem to know each other. I suspect that they live in the building. The age range is broad. An older couple sat at a table near me. The no smoking area (which I just noticed) mostly has middle-aged folks. A family with a very young child were hear only shortly before. The cafe has a menu in addition to the usual cakes and drinks. At this time of day few people are eating and the offerings are not very extensive. The smell is good, though.

Through the mirror I can see that a young girl, ten or twelve perhaps, is helping behind the counter. I suspect this is a family business, which is one of the things I like about the place.

A liking for this cafe does not necessarily go with a preference for this building. The other Hansaviertel buildings are at most 5 minutes away. It would be convenient, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home