Monday, November 06, 2006

Jogging

Since the University guest house does not have an exercise room with a nice elliptical machine, I have had to resort to more old fashioned means. A week or so ago I went to a nearby department store and bought some relatively expensive running shoes, after extensive discussion with the sales assistant (who, like most German sales assistants, really knew something about the merchandise). I wanted good shoes, since I have often had knee problems when running. In theory, good shoes can take care of that.

I was skeptical, of course, so I started slowly by running in place indoors for short periods. Over the week-end I ventured outside for a brief run to the local S-Bahn (elevated train) station to get a croissant for breakfast. That did no harm, so I did another run today.

The weather was pleasant this morning. Not too cold. No rain. I ran over one bridge that crosses the River Spree along the bank and crossed back at another bridge. It was a relatively short run (I am still taking no chances with my knees), but definitely pleasant.

Berlin makes some effort to make the river banks pedestian friendly. Along this part of the Spree, even though it is in the very heart of the city, there are houseboats with people living in them. These are not scruffy boats for people who can't afford an apartment, but well-kept and obviously expensive yachts. There is also a dirt path with overhanging trees and vines. You can be in the city and feel as if you are outside of it at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home