Sunday, October 15, 2006

Traveling the transit

I bought a Monatskarte or "Monthly ticket" for the Berlin transit system today. There are people in Berlin who have cars and parking is less challenging than in New York or Chicago or Munich. But why park a car when elevated trains (the S-Bahn), underground trains (U-Bahn), busses and the occasional streetcar will get you anywhere you want to go without polluting the environment or costing anything like what it costs to insure a car, to say nothing of buying and fueling one.

In a way the Monatskarte was disappointing. It looks like any ordinary single-ride transit ticket, except that it has the word Monatskarte on it and the starting and ending dates. Since I am living in walking distance of my office, I didn't plan to get a card orignally, but I find I do enough transit riding even so to make it worthwhile.

And since I am riding the rails, I plan to take pictures of some of the stations to post on this blog. Not all are handsome, and many of the U-Bahn stations are, well, just holes in the ground. But some are interesting, like the one at Heerstrasse that I use to go to St. George's Anglican Church on Sundays. I took this picture with my phone, whose features I have not yet mastered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home