Sunday, February 18, 2007

Moving, moving, moving...

I am back in the University Guest House. The folks laying the tiles reached a point where they needed me out of the way. This was no surprise. I had anticipated having to move out again at some point, but the date continued to be vague until last Monday night. The Guest House staff are very accommodating and put me in a suite designed for two people sharing a bath (as opposed to a double, where two people share a bed and a bath) and assured me that no one else would move in: my own private suite.

On Friday the workers assured me that I could move back on Saturday, so I checked out of the guest house and first went to the office to do some work. The former owner (who is managing the repair) reached me there to say that the tile-layer's manager wanted to talk to me. He wanted me to put off moving back for a couple of days. The floor in the bedroom was done, but the mortar ideally should dry more and, more problematic, the tiles in the living room could not be walked on while they were being fixed in place. I would be a prisoner in the bedroom. In a pinch they could find ways around the problem, but it would be better if I just were not there. So I called the Guest House again and they let me move back into the room I had just checked out of. On Monday we will try this game of checking out (and maybe back in) all over again.

In part I think they workers want me out because they have virtually moved in. They have pizza in the refrigerator and clothes strewn about the bathroom. They are working long, hard hours to get the bonus they were promised if the work is done before Joan arrives this coming Saturday. As the picture at the right shows, progress is being made and the new floor looks good.

At the point when I am really moved in, I have a week to register my new address with the city authorities. The forms make it clear that key date is when one is really moved in permanently, which has certainly not been the case so far. But what constitutes the trigger event? When I move back this time? When Joan arrives (on the principle that home is where the wife is)? When the furniture arrives? When the cat arrives? As seems often the case in German law, the definition is vague because (in most cases) everyone knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home