Thursday, November 02, 2006

Television

In Michigan I went for months without turning on the television. The Guest House of the University here has a TV in the living / dining room and I have been watching it during breakfasts and occasionally dinner. The nice clear German is good for my ability to understand what the students say, and I pick up some vocabulary as well. There are some differences, though.

German TV does not regulate itself by the hour and half-hour. The times are not actually random, since the schedule is of course published well in advance. But they sometimes seem random when a news show ends at 7:40 and a movie begins a couple of minutes later when the commercials end.

As I write this, I am watching the last bits of a movie in German about an Italian "commissario" who is working a case in Venice. From the opening credits I am reasonably sure that the movie is originally German, not just a dubbed Italian original. This is especially clear now that the cast credits are running at the end. The names are overwhelming Germanic with a strong admixture of slavic, but nothing that seems remotely italian.

It is 9:45 and news has just come on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home